The global data integration company offers a platform that allows companies to combine data from several sources and formats into one place, making it easier for businesses to store and access their data. Their software includes functionality to cleanse, monitor, and transform data.
The company realized that the global pandemic meant their workplace management strategy would be changing on an unprecedented scale. The company needed to reduce the amount of administrative time spent on room and desk booking, streamline reservation workflows, and eliminate ghost meetings. They wanted to implement a modern booking system that would allow them to facilitate hybrid work, ensure employee health and safety, optimize their workplace strategy, and enhance the employee experience. Three friction points in particular stood out:
- Lengthy, inefficient, and error-prone processes for reserving rooms and workspaces
- Employee experience disrupted by the sudden, large-scale move to hybrid work
- Limited ability to make data-based decisions about office space requirements
The company wanted to implement a workplace management solution for meeting and room scheduling needs. They needed something that could accommodate their international company and their needs across multiple time zones. They also needed a system that could be customized to resolve their specific challenges and areas that could be self-managed. Ideal outcomes included:
- Seamless booking and no wasted space (ghost meetings)
- Ability to find locations of rooms within a building
- Locate rooms based on specific needs (size, equipment)
The company selected Accruent EMS not only for its ability to seamlessly book desks and office spaces remotely in multiple time zones but also for its space utilization reporting, which would help inform the company's future workplace strategy. A few key points about EMS stood out:
- Ability to self-manage space scheduling
- Simple and straightforward UI
- Multiple points of access, including web and mobile
- Shared space and resource scheduling features
EMS plays a key role in reducing time spent on office management tasks. With the traditional way of room booking that the company had in place, office management took about 30% of the work week. Through EMS, the company is on track to reduce this aspect to about 5-10%.
In addition, EMS enables the company to make informed space management decisions based on data such as what rooms are often utilized, which offices have a high capacity, and what offices can be downsized. The company deployed EMS as a pilot program in their office in France. Because of the success achieved, the company rolled out the solution globally. Key benefits of the new system included:
- Room-booking capabilities in 21 offices globally across 9 time zones
- Integrated self-service scheduling via mobile app and web browsers
- One system of record for scheduling data, on-demand reporting, and analysis
The Wider Scenario
Managing office space is an important aspect of operating a business in a hybrid work environment. EMS enables employees to easily participate in meetings remotely via video conferencing and find a place to work when in the office. It also allows the company to track who is in the office on any given day, screen for health issues, and monitor cleaning protocols to ensure the health and safety of employees.